This buying guide will help you purchase the best Tremella supplements in Australia. Tremella mushroom products are growing in popularity in Australia due to their health benefits of improving immune function and skin health.
Tremella, also known as the Snow Fungus mushroom, is one of the less common medicinal mushrooms sold in Australia, but it has particularly unique properties attributed to skin health. It also has many of the medicinal uses of other medicinal mushrooms such as improving immune function and having anti-cancer properties. While it can be consumed internally, Tremella is also found in products for external use via topical application. Products containing Tremella tend to be relatively expensive so it’s important to know a bit about what you’re buying before making the purchase. After all, not all products are genuine and some may be richer in the components of Tremella than others.
Our top 2 picks for Tremella supplements in Australia
Prior to purchasing Tremella supplements from the SuperFeast and Teelixir, please read our buying guide below on how to purchase the best Tremella products. One of our ongoing goals here at WorldMushroomSociety.com is to help consumers to choose the best medicinal mushroom products to get the full health benefits for themselves and their families.
Our top 2 picks for the best Trmella supplements in Australia are from the following producers.
1. Teelixir Tremella Extract Powder
- Product Title: Tremella Mushroom
- Ingredients: Wild cultivated and organically grown Tremella mushroom (Tremella fuciformis), silver ear mushrooms fruiting bodies.
- Extraction Method & Extraction Ratio: Hot water extract, 10:1 ratio
- Polysaccharides: >2%
- Beta Glucans: >11%
- Non GMO: Yes
- Organic: Yes
- Vegan: Yes
- Country + Location Grown: Fujian province, China
$31.99 AUD for 50 g (1.8 oz)
- $187AUD for 500 g (1.1 lb)
- $339 AUD for 500 g (1.1 lb)
- Number of servings: 31
- Contains Mycelium or Grain? No
- Contains Fruiting Bodies? Yes
- Serving suggestion or serving size: 1/4 – 1/2 tsp (1.6g) Tremella mushroom extract per day.
Pros – what we like
- Hot water for increased bioavailability beta-glucans
- Made from 100% Wood-Grown Mushroom Fruiting Bodies
- Low heavy metals verified by third party testing
- High beta-glucan amount of >11% specified on the label
- 100% Australian Certified Organic (ACO), non GMO, Di Dao sourced
- Beauty Benefits: skin nourishment, cell hydration, natural moisturiser
- Health Benefits: improves cognitive function and memory, supports the immune system, boost antioxidants, promotes anti-aging, organ support for heart, liver, kidney and lungs
Cons – how it could improve
- Not dual extracted, therefore may not contain Polyphenols
2. SuperFeast Tremella Extract Powder
- Product: Tremella
- Ingredients: Tremella fuciformis (Tremella mushroom)
- Extraction Method & Extraction Ratio: Dual extracted from dry fruiting body 10:1 extract powder
- Polysaccharides: Not specified
- Beta Glucans: Not specified
- Non GMO: Yes
- Organic: No
- Vegan: Yes
- Country + Location Grown: Gutian county, China
$55.25 AUD for 100g
$92.65 AUD for 250g
$290.70 AUD for 1kg
- Contains Mycelium or Grain? No
- Contains Fruiting Bodies? Yes
- Serving suggestion or serving size: 1/4 – 1/2 tsp daily. Eat straight off the spoon or stir into hot or cold drinks, soups and meals.
Pros – what we like
- Independently tested for metals, pesticides, molds, and microbials at TGA accredited facilities.
- Di Dao sourcing and Daoist philosophy
- Dual extracted for increased beta-glucans and polyphenols
- Does not contain any grain filler or mycelium
- Health benefits: immune support, lungs function, qi, skin health
- The company has donated over $50,000 as of October 2021 towards land care and indigenous charities
Cons – how it could improve
- Beta-glucan amount currently not specified on the label
- Not organic
Buying Guide for Tremella Supplements in Australia
Tremella Mycelium vs Fruiting Bodies
Mushroom supplements can be produced from a variety of different fungal materials that result in varying potency. In some cases they’re not even made from mushrooms at all! Some supplements are made from mycelium or the underground roots of the mushroom. While the mycelium of many mushrooms has in fact been shown to be medicinal, many products only have low concentrations of mycelium. This is the case for mycelium products cultivated in grain mediums like wheat, millet, and brown rice.
In the case of Tremella, most products are made from the fruiting bodies themselves or extracts derived from them. These are generally considered the best but can vary in quality. The cultivation of its mycelium in grain is less common with Tremella supplements compared to other medicinal mushrooms (Reishi, Lion’s Mane, Turkey Tail, ect.) because it’s generally less popular and its unique life-cycle prohibits it. This being said, it is not unlikely that there may be Tremella supplements that contain grain.
Tremella derivatives are also produced using a unique process that harvests exopolysaccharides (medicinal components) through submerged fermentation. This process simply involves cultivating the tremella mycelium in a liquid medium and harvesting polysaccharides excreted by the fungus. These are called “exopolysaccharides” because they are not produced within the tissues themselves. Polysaccharides like beta-glucans are some of the most medicinal components of the mushrooms, particularly for Tremella.
How Do I Know If My Mushroom Supplement Contains Grain?
● Read the ingredients. Avoid products that list grains.
● Look for clarification. Most legitimate producers will clarify if their products are made with 100% fruiting bodies.
● If the product is ambiguous or not specific about the contents of their product then you could assume it may not be made with 100% fruiting bodies.
Ideal Extraction Method
The purpose of extracts is to concentrate important medicinal compounds and make them easily bioavailable so your body can absorb them. Extractions are not only effective at providing the
benefits of mushrooms but they also make their consumption much easier and less cumbersome than trying to process raw mushrooms yourself. This being said, not all producers of medicinal mushroom supplements undergo the same processes. This results in significant differences of potency between products depending on how they were produced.
The two main active components known from Tremella are its polysaccharides, particularly beta-glucans, and polyphenols. The polysaccharides are the most revered and studied from tremella mushrooms.
● Polysaccharides: The polysaccharides from tremella are known to have extremely high water-holding capacities and are often used in skin-care products. The beta-glucans (a type of polysaccharide) are known to have immunomodulating effects and are thought to help with a wide variety of ailments. Polysaccharide extracts of Tremella have been shown to have promising properties such as being anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, anti-tumor, anti-radiation, anti-ulcer, and immunomodulation.
● Polyphenols: These are non-water soluble molecules that exhibit antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects. Specifically in Tremella, these are hydroxybenzoic acid, gentisic acid, and 4-coumaric acid. They are found in much less quantities than the water-soluble polysaccharides.
While there is a lot of evidence suggesting Tremella mushroom is a potent source of medicinal compounds, it should be noted that it is much less studied than other medicinal mushrooms. Clinical trials involving Tremella mushrooms are still pending and most studies have been conducted on tissue culture or animal models.
Some products may mention they’re exact ratio as a means to convey the potency of their product. For example, a 10:1 Tremella Extract means that the producer used 10kg of Tremella for every 1kg of extract produced. Keep in mind that this does not mean that a 10:1 extract is twice as potent as a 5:1 extract, just that it was produced using twice the quantity of mushrooms.
Dual Extractions For Tremella
Dual Extractions are processes that involve using both water and alcohol as solvents. This ensures the product contains both alcohol and water-soluble components. Like previously mentioned, the most important medicinal compounds in Tremella are water soluble so dual extractions are not exactly necessary. This being said alcohol works as a natural preservative and alcohol contains polyphenols and potentially less studied novel compounds.
Since the alcohol component contains less of the important medicinal compounds, dual extracted tinctures should be low-alcohol content (around 20%), just enough to help with preservation. High alcohol levels are not ideal because it contains less of the active components, and alcohol can cause them to precipitate from the solution.
Extract Powders and Capsules
Tremella extract powders are another common form that tremella can be consumed. It is these extracts that are typically incorporated into capsules. In most cases these powders are produced via evaporation of a water-based extract. Sometimes the original fungal biomass is reincorporated into the extract powder to form a 1:1 powdered extract.
Beta-Glucan Content On The Label
The Tremella best products you can find will display the beta-glucan content on their label. Alternatively, they may just mention polysaccharide content which is okay as long as you can check it doesn’t originate from grains or yeasts. Yeast, oats, and other natural-products also contain beta-glucans and polysaccharides that could be used as a deceiving marketing tactic.
Products that undergo chemical analysis are the best option because these are verified to contain the beta-glucans and other medicinal compounds known to have beneficial properties. Chemical analysis can also test for the presence of contaminants like heavy metal which should not be present in the supplements.
Australian Grown Tremella vs Chinese Grown
There is a growing discussion of whether to trust Chinese grown medicinal mushrooms, or choose Australian grown mushrooms.
China is the largest producer of Tremella mushrooms in the world and has been growing and cultivating medicinal mushrooms for centuries. The majority of the best quality Tremella products are grown in China. Tremella and other medicinal mushrooms have been used in Traditional Chinese Medicine for thousands of years, long before usage by Western society.
In Australia, there are biosecurity regulations around growing medicinal mushrooms. Tremella is allowed to be grown in Australia, and we definitely encourage the support of local growers.
Certificate of analysis
If you are unsure of the quality of the Tremella supplement product, ask the Australian producer for a third party Certificate of Analysis (COA). A Certificate of Analysis from a third party lab is important to identify the beneficial compounds (beta-glucans) in the Tremella product, as well as to avoid heavy metals, pesticides and other foreign contaminants. Heavy metals that are typically tested for range from arsenic, cadmium, lead, and mercury. If an Australian producer does not have this on their website, they may be able to provide a COA upon request.
Certified organic Tremella products ensure that your products do not contain herbicides, fungicides or pesticides and other harmful chemicals. Look for the Australian Certified Organic logo stamp of quality and integrity on the label of the bottle or pouch.
Tremella Products in Australia
Tremella Skin Care Products
Tremella is unique for its use in skin care products. These can include creams and balms that may also incorporate oils and other herbal ingredients. Tremella skin care products are most often made from extracts that include high quantities of polysaccharides. These are known to be particularly effective at rehydrating skin and having a high water holding capacity.
Tremella may be intended to be the main ingredient in a product or part of a specially designed formula. If you are specifically looking for high-potency tremella products make sure to read the ingredient list and that it’s one of the first ingredients mentioned. It will usually be listed as “Tremella Mushroom Extract” or something similar. If it is one of the last ingredients you can assume it may not be rich in the tremella compounds you’re looking for.
Fresh Tremella mushrooms
Fresh Tremella mushrooms as whole fruiting bodies can be found at specialty farmers markets across Australia, or purchased online from NineLife.
Alternatively, many Chinese supermarkets such as Tongli, Miracle and even Woolworths recently, sell dried Tremella in packets. Tremella is used in both savory soups and sweet deserts in many Chinese dishes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Tremella mushroom legal for purchase in Australia?
Yes, Tremella is legal for purchase and consumption in Australia. All Tremella supplements and medicinal mushroom products are regulated by the Therapeutic Goods Administration of Australia (TGA).
In Australia, medicinal products containing such ingredients as certain herbs, vitamins and minerals, nutritional supplements, homeopathic medicines and aromatherapy products are referred to as ‘complementary medicines’ and are regulated as medicines by the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) under the Therapeutic Goods Act 1989 (the Act) and the supporting Therapeutic Goods Regulations 1990.
Can Tremella be purchased from my doctor?
Tremella cannot be purchased from a doctor, but can be purchased through a Traditional Chinese Medicine practitioner. Tremella is considered a complementary medicine that can be purchased online or in stores, and does not require a prescription for purchase.
Can Tremella products be purchased from a naturopath?
Yes, many Australian naturopaths sell Tremella supplements as part of their treatment for various illnesses.
Does Chemist Warehouse sell Tremella?
Yes, Chemist Warehouse sells some mushroom products that contain Tremella in their ingredients.
How much does Tremella mushrooms cost in Australia?
The price of Tremella in Australia can vary, depending on the product type and producer.
Tremella Extracts, powders and capsules can range from $20 per product to over $100.
Health benefits of Tremella
Benefits Skin Health
May Improve Immune Function
Use In Supporting Cancer Treatment
Improve Cognitive Function
May Help Regulate Blood Sugar Levels
May Improve Gut Health
Other Suggested Medicinal Properties
- Tremella extracts were shown to efficiently enhance mouse fatigue endurance and anti-hypoxia capability, partly through energy reserves and antioxidant enzyme activity in a 14-day trial. (Yang, 2019)
- Tremella polysaccharides were shown to have the potential for the treatment of bacterial infections caused by Pseudomonas aeruginosa. (Shi, 2018)
- Aqueous extracts of Tremella were shown to have a protective effect in stressed mice and suggest it may have anti-stress activities. (Min-Seok, 2009)
- Rats fed diets with Tremella fuciformis showed a decrease of 17% in serum total cholesterol concentrations and effective hypocholesterolemic activity. (C.K., 1996)
Sometimes the best way to tell if a product works for you is to test it out yourself. Use the supplement regularly and note how it affects your well-being and health. Many people who try Tremella skin care products have great results and incorporate it into their skin-care routines. We hope this buying guide has helped you choose the best Tremella supplement in Australia to improve your health.
Check out our other medicinal mushroom buying guides for Australia: